How to Remove Soap Scum and Hard Water Stains from Shower Glass Doors

Tuesday, May 14

In an ideal world, I would scrub down and clean my bathroom and keep it spotless and shiny every day of the week. As it happens, our bathroom is often a war zone. Makeup, dirty laundry, and towels that don't always end up on the rack are the usual suspects that keep our bathroom from staying organized. Mondays are typically my day of the week I schedule out to clean them. This Monday, with a little bit of free time on my hands, I decided to give our master bath a major scrub down. I cleaned the light fixtures, organized the closet, rearranged our cabinet drawers, and finally (finally!) got down to cleaning the one thing in this bathroom I've never been able to fully get to before - our shower doors. 

Oh I clean our shower doors often. We have a squeegee that we run over them after every shower. But we've had soap scum and hard water stains collected on the edges of those doors since we moved in. And no matter how much I scrubbed, no matter what I took to them, those stains just wouldn't go away. Here's a little dramatization for you: 

Glass Shower Doors Soap Scum
This is a little worse for wear (most of it is just dried water that splashed up earlier), but see the water/soap stain line that runs right down the edge? That line never goes away and it's always bugged me. A while back, I'd pinned a cleaning tip on Pinterest that suggested using a fabric softener on glass shower doors. I went back to my pin, but the link had expired. So I googled a bit and came across this article on Apartment Therapy. I read through the comments and one person mentioned wetting the fabric softener before using it. So I went down to our laundry room, grabbed a couple of dryer sheets, wet them, then took them back upstairs and went to town on those shower doors. 

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors
Everyday SImple | Using Wet Fabric Softener Sheets to Clean Shower Doors
Let me tell you this - it works. And it works well. You get a lot of residue, so you'll need to really make sure to rinse your doors afterwards (and then rinse them again), but I am one happy girl with how clear and how clean my shower doors look. 

After my first scrub down and rinse, though, the stains on the edges of the door were still faintly there. I lightly scrubbed over those spots with another wet dryer sheet, then took took a green Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty Scour Pad to it (these green scrubbers are my secret cleaning weapon - I use them for everything. My parents have always used them; they do an amazing job without being too harsh). 

Glass Shower Door Stains
Everyday SImple | Green Scrubbers + Fabric Softeners to Clean Shower Doors
I lightly scrubbed over the stains and bam! Spotless perfection. I'd tried using these green scrubbers before, both alone and with other products, but for some reason combining them with the fabric sheet did the trick.

Clean Shower Door
I also used the fabric sheets to scrub underneath the door handle that sits inside the shower. I didn't realize there was a build-up of soap and residue down there. I forgot to take a before picture (it probably would have been gross anyways), but the fabric sheet cleaned everything right up! No more filthy residue underneath.

Fabric Sheets to Clean Glass Shower Doors
Last but not least, I used the sheets on our sink faucets per another suggestion on Pinterest. This particular faucet is in our guest bath. The sheet cleaned it up pretty nicely - it's so sparkly now.

Cleaning Hard Water Stains on Sink Faucet
Using Fabric Sheets to Clean Bathroom
Using fabric softeners to clean your shower doors or faucets isn't something I would necessarily recommend using on a regular basis. A lot of people might be worried about the chemicals contained in them. For me, it worked great on getting rid of very tough, set-in stains. If you have a problem like that, give it a go. For more greener, more natural home cleaners, check out this post by How Does She. They give you a list of all-natural cleaners and disinfecting solutions you can to clean each room in your house.

Everyday Simple | Cleaning Your Glass Shower Doors with Fabric Softener Sheets

share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

45 Comments »

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 14 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

45 Responses to “How to Remove Soap Scum and Hard Water Stains from Shower Glass Doors”

  1. OMG!! I am seriously gonna try this out tonight! I've wasted money on so many different cleaning supplies but they never ever work. So excited!!!!! Yay!



    xx
    ileana

    www.ileanamarcel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the greatest bathroom cleaning tip in the history of tips! Thanks a million Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also use dryer sheets on your electronics, to dust with. If you wipe down your TV screen, with a dryer sheet, the anti-static stuff in the dryer sheet will repel dust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! And thanks for sharing!

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your shower doors look AMAZING now! I had no idea you could use dryer sheets for this. I will have to try that on my sink because I have some pretty deep set stains there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information! Thanks so much for sharing this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That really does work! We have really hard water at our house--this makes me glad that we don't have glass doors on our shower! You can't see hard water marks on a white shower curtain. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo, I'll have to give this a try! I didn't learn about the magic of a squeegee soon enough. I normally use white vinegar/water mixture for my day-to-day cleaning, but it just wasn't getting the shower door really clean {because of my lack of squeegeeing}.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a great tip! Dryer sheets, they seriously do so much (supposedly shoos away mosquitos too, have you heard this?)!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. So they do work! I'm going to go try it now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great tip!!! :-) I love the faucet in your sink too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. we do the squeegee thing, but I am definitely trying the dryer sheet thing
    thanks for the tip
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your tips! Looking forward to reading more of your articles!

    I hope you can stop by our FB page and like us. Just followed via GFC. ☺
    Bangle Paradise Facebook
    www.bangleparadise.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tips is very good to use. I will surely use it in my glass door bathroom. I think it will help me to clean my bathroom and managed it as new as now. Where from u buy your glass doors? I buy it in here http://www.sgawinc.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for posting this information and photos. I am in the middle of remodeling my master bathroom and I would love to install a standard bi-pass door on my shower. I think it is a beautiful look and it's just something different. Is it going to be a problem if my shower is larger than 60"? Do you know where I could find shower doors portland and shower doors portland oregon ? Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post. It will help me to maintain my bathroom clean ,fit, healthy. Actually we need hygienic glass repair portland also. Thanks for the useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I knew that 2 weeks ago, when I spent more than an hour scrubbing my oven and the final result wasn't even close to yours :( This weekend, I'm going to try your tip and I hope it will work. Thank you for sharing!
    Here you can find great tips on shower doors portland

    ReplyDelete
  18. frameless shower door
    :we are happy to read your post , its a very nice and more informative...

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like it works really well! I told my husband to call the shower door installation company in Bend, OR so that they can come out this weekend and install one of these glass shower doors. Hopefully it will get done. Then I'll use this method to clean it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice sharing...

    By:
    Bathroom International
    http://www.bathroominternational.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  21. BioWorx.us has a great shower cleaner that dissolves soap scum and scale. Soap scum actually requires a high pH product and scale requires a low pH product. BioWorx has figured out how to remove soap scum and scale with one product. Soap scum melt like butter in seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......Nice post Dude keep it up.
    I have appreciate with getting lot of good and reliable and legislative information with your post......
    I know something information, to know you can click here

    water softener
    water filter

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can say this does not work at all i own a cleaning service and we come across heavy duty soap scum showers and we tried this method of dryer sheets to try and no go....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can say this does not work at all i own a cleaning service and we come across heavy duty soap scum showers and we tried this method of dryer sheets to try and no go....

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can say this does not work at all i own a cleaning service and we come across heavy duty soap scum showers and we tried this method of dryer sheets to try and no go....

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can say this does not work at all i own a cleaning service and we come across heavy duty soap scum showers and we tried this method of dryer sheets to try and no go....

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can say this does not work at all i own a cleaning service and we come across heavy duty soap scum showers and we tried this method of dryer sheets to try and no go....

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can say this does not work at all i own a cleaning service and we come across heavy duty soap scum showers and we tried this method of dryer sheets to try and no go....

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can say this does not work at all i own a cleaning service and we come across heavy duty soap scum showers and we tried this method of dryer sheets to try and no go....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks so much for sharing this! I have been really interested in finding out how to properly take care of my shower glass in Westmont, IL... This was really helpful! Have you checked out this website before: www.dpollackglass.com?

    ReplyDelete

  31. Best Water Softener Reviews
    Find the best water softener reviews at Top Rated Water Softener Reviews.com we are here to help you
    as you make a purchase to improve your water quality
    hard water issues


    Also more details click here

    ReplyDelete
  32. TRY BIO-CLEAN PRODUCTS!! THE ULTIMATE STAIN REMOVER. THIS MAY TAKE OUT THE STAINS FOR MOMENTARY, WITH BIO-CLEAN PRODUCTS IT WILL LEAVE YOUR SHOWER DOORS, CAR WINDSHIELDS, AND MORE STAIN-FREE FOR UP TO A YEAR.

    FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT US AT OUR WEBSITE: http://www.bio-cleanproducts.com/ OR TAKE A LOOK AT OUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwswZA49YBc

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for posting this. Our shower door has so much scum built up! It hasn't been cleaned in years, and my wife is about to flip a brick. We'll use your tips!
    Jensen | http://www.theritewayglass.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. This a great way to get rid of the stains and grime in your glass door, and it’s not necessarily limited to just glass on your doors. Your windows could also benefit from a good cleaning from time to time to bring it back to it’s former shine!

    Maricela

    ReplyDelete
  35. I guess this is one of the cons of having glass shower - dirt are visible when it dries. Another way is using vinegar to make the cleaning easier. Just spray on the whole surface and leave it for a while to soften the soap scum, then wash simply with detergent and water. But if you can't stand the smell of the vinegar, another way to clean the surface is by using crumpled newspaper.

    Bo Tolbert

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, that worked fantastically! Thanks you so much for sharing this, we were worried that there was just no saving this glass and it would have to be replaced. Looks good as new, now! Thiago | http://www.dpollackglass.com/products.htm

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for sharing these really helpful tips to clean the mirror doors of our washrooms as it was really getting to deal with. Mirror doors are the part of our beautiful washroom and keep it shining really makes us feel great.

    Posted by johnniesmyth | Bathrooms and Showers

    ReplyDelete
  38. Walo Maids provides high-quality Cleaning Services, House Cleaning Services and Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning in Plano and Dallas. Schedule Online.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was an amazing tip and works on any surface - the shower doors in my apartment are made of cheap textured plexi-glass.

    It will also work with diluted fabric softener in a spray bottle. If you get the unscented stuff, you'll notice that it has a slight coconut odor - that's because the active ingredient is coconut oil. The dryer sheets work the same way - the secret is that you just have to get them wet enough in warm water to make them release the active ingredient. The dryer sheet method makes just makes it less messy to apply.

    Be careful, though, and wear rubber gloves if you're going to be cleaning a large area - fabric softener will make your fingernails split.

    It doesn't only work for cleaning soap/hard water deposits, though - I learned this tip while researching ways to take down the vinyl wallpaper in my mother's bathrooms. Once you peel or steam off the papery exterior, you can apply fabric softener diluted with water in a spray bottle to the adhesive layer underneath. Let it soak in for a few minutes and it'll scrape off with no trouble at all.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice cleaning services i like this Blog thanks for sharing valuable information about cleaning services

    Denver House Cleaning Company

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is amazing. I have never even heard of using fabric softener on shower doors. We have gorgeous glass doors in our bathroom, but they don't look as good as they originally did. I think I will scrub them down this weekend with fabric softener. I can't wait to have a sparkling clean bathroom. www.glasscastle.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is an informative post review. I am so pleased to get this post article. I was looking forward to get such a post which is very helpful to us. Keep it up. . I know something information, to know you can click here
    bathroom renovations ipswich
    bathroom renovations brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  43. I always put off cleaning the hard water residue off of my shower door. I have cleaned it a few times though and it is incredible that you can get them that clean. I should probably clean my shower doors again sometime.

    Jason|http://www.310bath.com/custom_showers_and_walls.html

    ReplyDelete