Lettuce Talk | Storing Lettuce in the Fridge

Tuesday, January 15

Hey guys. Let's talk lettuce. I love lettuce. Weird, right? Or do other people love lettuce as much as I do? If a sandwich doesn't have lettuce, I'm not as inclined to eat it. I also get a little giddy whenever I go to a restaurant and their salads have just the perfect lettuce crispness. My husband isn't as big of a fan as I am. He could do without that green stuff. But I'm quite partial to it. 

One of the problems I had with lettuce was that I just simply didn't know how to store it. A lot of the times I would just leave it in the bag. I would pull out a few pieces when I needed them, rinse them off, pat them dry, and try to use them. Didn't work so well - the lettuce was still damp and lost it's crispness. Other times, my lettuce would turn limp and go bad before I could even get to it all. So what's a girl to do when she wants nice, crisp lettuce whenever she wants it? She Googles, of course.

The Paupered Chef was the first place my search landed on. I took their tip of washing and storing lettuce and created my own method. It works wonders - my lettuce stays crisp and fresh and I've got clean lettuce on hand whenever I want it. 


Step 1: Grab your lettuce, a hand towel, and a large cutting board and set them out on the counter by the kitchen sink.

Step 2: Begin pulling off my lettuce leaves one by one. I like to rinse off each leaf individually, then lay them on my cutting board.

Step 3: Once all of the lettuce has been rinsed, leave them out to dry for a bit. Usually I'll use this time to do other things around the kitchen (wash and cut up fruits and veggies, clean up after dinner, etc). The lettuce won't entirely dry on its own. When I'm ready to move on to the next step, I usually pat them dry with a paper towel (you could also place them in a salad spinner).

Step 4: Once the leaves are decently dry, pile them up on one end of a clean kitchen towel.

Step 5: After all of the leaves are on your towel, roll them up! Make sure that no ends are sticking out of the top or bottom of the towel. 

Step 6: Place the towel in the fridge drawer that holds your other vegetables and pull out whenever needed.


I used to wrap my lettuce up in paper towels instead of a kitchen towel; it worked great, but I wasted a ton of paper towels. So I switched to my green towel instead. It's a simple trick for your kitchen that will hopefully save you from anymore spoiled or un-crisp lettuce!

Also, if you buy iceberg lettuce, I would recommend getting another type instead. I prefer romaine. Romaine lettuce has "approximately 10 times more vitamin A than Iceberg." If you'd like to read more about the nutritional value of romaine vs. iceberg, click here.

And here's another tip - one that probably the rest of the world knows about and I've only recently discovered. Did you know that there is such a thing as a pineapple corer/slicer? I just found this out, people. And it's amazing. My pineapple slicing days have forever been changed.


Linking up to:

share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

21 Comments »

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 15 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

21 Responses to “Lettuce Talk | Storing Lettuce in the Fridge”

  1. Great tips - I could have used that lettuce one a few days ago.. now I know :)

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff!! I always use paper towel- I guess if it was a brand new towel I think I might use a hand towel:) Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips!! I'll have to keep that in mind for next time, for sure. ;)

    Hailey
    www.somethingdevineblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these tips. I will def. remember your tip for storing lettuce. Thank you for stopping by my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUCH a great idea. I seriously have never known how to store mine..so I'm going to start doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like lettuce! lol
    Great tip!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG–I need that pineapple corer! I've never even seen that before (you're not alone!) but I must get my hands on one. Pineapple is my fav!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice - and I love lettuce too! I could eat salad and grilled chicken almost everyday, but my Hubby would boycott! Take care, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You are a hard ore lettuce lover! I just decided. Really need a pineapple core thingy. Adding it to my Target list.

    www.mommacandy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing cool advices. Really impressive blog, love your style. If you want check mine and we could follow each other:-)
    Kisses
    Aga

    GIVEAWAY with Choies!!!50 WINNERS!!!
    PERFECT PARTY DRESS
    www.agasuitcase.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great help for a college student. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. well, I'll be registering for a pineapple slicer for this wedding. Also, towel ideas is so smart! Never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great tips! That pineapple tool is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tip! Good to know. Salad is one of the most popular veggie dishes in our house, so ours doesn't have time to go bad before we've finished it and I'm out buying more :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you found my blog, I think we are friend soulmates! :) Isn't Terra Mia the best?? My brothers and I used to go once a week haha. I am so jealous that you are in AZ I am freezing to death here in Utah! Hopefully you guys will still be in AZ when we move back and we can be real friends :)

    Just started following your blog :)

    www.nateandmaryclaire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rachel! I mentioned you in blog today, check it out if you get a chance :)

    www.nateandmaryclaire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a sweet pineapple cutter! I have one but its one you push all the way down and it cuts the edges off and the middle. I like that the outside part stays intact with this! Where did you get this one?

    michaelandwhitneyweekes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete