Hiking Over the Holidays | Mt. Tam and Mt. Diablo

Monday, January 7

Looking for some new hiking trails? Danny and I love to go hiking. Both of our dream jobs consist of something relative to being tour guides in Yellowstone or Whitewater Rafting Guides down in Moab - which, ironically, we both have friends who do those very things for a living. But since Danny's in medical school and I have a degree in History/Business, we just have to settle on exploring the wilderness as a hobby. 

Danny is originally from the Bay Area. If you're ever traveling to San Francisco for the first time and want to know some of the fun places to visit, shoot me an email - we could tell you all about Pier 39, the Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard Street, and Alcatraz Island. But inevitably, we'd also mention some of our favorite hiking spots: Mt. Tamalpais and Mt. Diablo.

Mt. Tamalpais is a crazy, amazing place to go hiking. It's the prison of Atlas and the site where Mount Othrys is being rebuilt.... oh wait, just kidding. Did anybody read the Percy Jackson series. No? Just me? Okay then. Back to the real Mt. Tam. It's insanely beautiful. Part beach, part rolling hills, and part haunting forest, it's hands down one of my favorite places in the Bay Area. The first time I experienced it was just a few months before Danny and I were married. I want to go back every time we visit his family. I mean, how can you not want to go back to a place like this?


This year, we did a smaller hike. Instead of starting out on Stinson Beach like in the pictures above, we went up through Rock Spring. Not as woodsy as before, but it has a gorgeous view of the city and the bay. 


Mt. Diablo is closer to home for Danny. When he was in high school, he'd hike up the mountain at least once a week. The grass is so green there - it reminds me of Kentucky, just a little bit. They have a lot of horse trails, too. As wilderness-y as my husband is, he's never been on a horse! I'm planning on some kind of horse-riding trip for him as soon as possible. 


Do you have some favorite hikes around the country? Between Danny's classes, rotations, and residencies, we'll probably end up living in a few different areas of the US before we settle down (we've already lived in 4 different regions and we've heavily traveled 2 others). We always love hearing about new hiking spots! We're slowly getting our way around the trails in Arizona. We plan to tackle a lot more once the summer break hits (although we'll probably be be exploring more of northern AZ at that point... as much as I love being outdoors, I don't much fancy hiking in 120+ degree weather).

share this on::

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Digg

22 Comments »

This entry was posted on Monday, January 7 and is filed under ,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

22 Responses to “Hiking Over the Holidays | Mt. Tam and Mt. Diablo”

  1. Lovely photos! I have been priming my boyfriend for a beautiful weekend hike very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...these are great hiking spots! I'm from SF and love being around these areas too! =D
    xo,
    nancy

    http://adoretoadorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! looks like a great time and beautiful place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks fun.. we are waiting for D to be a little older before go on a little hike.. the last thing we need is to carry him everywhere..

    ReplyDelete
  5. These captures look amazing. I would totally go on a long, relaxing hike - just to fill my batteries :).

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pictures. What a great place to hike.

    I also love San Francisco and I have been to Pier 39 and that area a couple of times. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these photos are amazing. So adventurous! You have a lovely blog x

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing place!! you're very lucky of can enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a fantastic hike! If you're ever in the Seattle area let me know and I'll tell you about some of my favorites. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos! Love that you guys have this shared passion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a great couple - hope you had fun
    LVE
    x the cookies
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos! My husband loves hiking as well. We hope to check out Shenandoah soon. We've also lived in all different areas and just settled in Virginia. It's interesting! My husband wants to move to San Francisco! I don't think it'll happen but he continues to dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So amazing! I would love to do something like this & i love how tiny san fran looks!

    Melissa
    http://shakeshakee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Camelback Mountain is a great one here in AZ!
    Pinnacle Peak is another. North mountain on 7th st is fairly small/short but has a good view at night for not too much work :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oak Creek Canyon/Sedona is BEAUTIFUL! and great in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. your blog is seriously the cutest thing, and your pictures are amazing!!

    toriandalex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Portland has some amazing hikes! You guys should definitely come up here to go hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous views! I loved hiking around Mt Rainier, so if you ever are in that area, go for it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. We've been meaning to hike Mt Tam for two years now. I'm writing it in my calendar now!!! Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Stinson Beach! I'm from Sacramento! My husband talks about Mt Tam all the time and how he used to go camping and hiking around there. I think our next trip we need to make a stop because your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete